Thursday, January 6, 2011

free advice?

i confess, i am not a natural at spouting words of advice.
it's not that i can't. it's just that i cannot simply parachute into someone's situation and tell them how to handle it - i believe it may be rather insulting to be at the receiving end. nothing, well almost nothing gets my goat faster than people offering unsolicited advice to others.
being well brought up and naturally civil though, if i get free and unasked for advice, i grin and bear it and usually even heed the bits that sound good. so my problem is not with the advice bit, it is with the 'unsolicited' bit.
and my problem is not so much with the receiving bit, as it is with the giving bit.
i would rather watch someone fail than give them unsolicited advice.
which sounds weird, even to me. but i believe that each one of us makes the best choices possible given the situation. you know yourself the best, you know your strengths, your weaknesses, your constraints, your aspirations, and most importantly, you are the one who lives with your choices and their consequences.
if i am asked for advice, i promise i do my very best, i take more efforts than i would for myself, and i will try my best to figure out the best possible thing to do. but no, not unless i am actually asked for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment